St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is seeking candidates to fill the available full-time classroom instructional assistant position. The instructional assistant is responsible for providing assistance to instructional programs by assisting the teacher in achieving educational objectives by working with individual students or small groups to help them achieve the skill levels of the class as a whole. They will assist the teacher in providing a well-organized, smoothly functioning class environment in which students can take full advantage of the instructional program and available resource materials.
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is a new K4-12 non-denominational Christian School coming to Milwaukee’s South side at 2607 S. 5th Street in August of 2017. The school will be a student-centered environment where young learners take ownership of their education not only in academics, but also physical health, creativity, and faith. Our graduates will go on to achieve their highest potential and make our city, and ultimately the word, a better place.
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy develops students to be tomorrow’s leaders. They will be known by their strength of character, courage, intellect, impactful contributions and their faith.
We will develop the leaders of tomorrow by:
- Providing exceptional Christian based education
- Offering am uninterrupted K-12 educational experience
- Educating the whole child – mind, body and soul
- Maximizing the potential of each individual student through personalized instruction
- Integrating family, faith, academics and athletics/arts
- Emphasizing grit, persistence and personal responsibility
- Offering a safe, stimulating and welcoming school environment
Reporting structures: Instructional Assistants will report to the Elementary School Principal
These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Executes instructional activities with individual students or small groups of students following teacher direction and demonstration.
- Assists students in special education and general education classes. Assists in preparation of materials for class, classroom activities, assignments, location of supplementary materials from school library and other resources areas.
- Implements behavior management programs designed by teachers and/or other school staff.
- Monitors student use of instructional equipment.
- Serves as a source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the regular teacher. If authorized by the administration, instructional assistants can take over a classroom if they have a bachelor's degree.
- Maintains the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students as is expected in the classroom teachers.
- Performs other duties as many, from time to time be assigned by the supervisor.
- Perform related work as required.
A St. Augustine Preparatory Instructional Assistant will:
- Ensure that all students receive a high quality educational experience resulting in high student achievement.
- Serve as the cultural and spiritual model for their students, always interacting respectfully and striving to demonstrate God’s love to their students and families.
- Use academic data to modify both whole and small-group instruction in order to best meet the needs of their students.
- Work with classroom teachers to evaluate pupils' academic and social growth, keeping appropriate records in a timely fashion in order to prepare progress reports.
- Work with classroom teachers to identify pupil needs and make appropriate referrals; develop strategies for individual education plans as needed.
- Integrate technology and student learning styles into instruction.
- Work in a supportive and collaborative manner with colleagues, supervisors, students, parents/guardians, and community members.
- Maintain and improve professional skills by participating in building and department meetings/professional development (collaborative planning time teams, etc.), formal coursework, workshops, and seminars/in-services in an effort to stay current with best teaching practices.
- Maintain positive and productive relationships, focused on collective problem-solving processes, in order to create, support, and sustain an environment conducive to optimal learning.
- Fully represent the values and culture of St. Augustine Prep at all times.
- A belief in the ability of every child and a commitment to ensure excellence for each student.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- *** A minimum of 40 college credits or equivalent- level certification courses.
- Participating member in a local Church.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Team player committed to the St. Augustine Preparatory mission and model.
- Lastly and most important, the candidate must demonstrate and possess the highest integrity. and be able to live the values, beliefs, and culture of St. Augustine Prep.
***Applicants who do not meet this criteria will be considered on a case-by-case basis dependent on past experience, current role, and other variables. These candidates will have two years to reach this requirement (40 college credit hours)
St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, national and ethnic origin or any other basis prohibited by law when hiring, promoting, establishing wages, or providing benefits.
As a faith-based institution based on biblical principles, St. Augustine Preparatory Academy hires employees who agree with the school's Mission Statement and Statement of Beliefs and adhere to biblical standards of conduct.